Saturday, March 17, 2007

Based on the Book

I love books, I love movies. Which did I love more-the book or the movie?! Hmmm good question. You know how it goes-you read a book, you love it then Hollywood adapts, interprets, distorts, or defiles the book you so loved. More often than not, the book comes out the winner. However, there have been instances where I felt the the movie version far surpassed the book. In determining which you liked better does it matter which came first...the chicken or the egg? If you read the book first then saw the movie are you more likely to favor the book version? Or vice versa...? My body of evidence and verdicts:

Exhibit A: The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. I saw the film adaptation first and LOVE, LOVE, LOVED it! Ryan Gosling just sent my heart aflutter! After viewing the movie I wanted to read the book. But I was SO disappointed! What I loved about the movie was how, after all they'd been through, they died together-they couldn't or wouldn't live without each other. In Spark's book Allie dies and Noah is left with out her. Bummer! I found it depressing and not nearly as powerful as the movie. I've read several other of Nicholas Sparks books and am not a fan, I always end up depressed after reading his stuff. Verdict: MOVIE!

Exhibit B: The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy. When I first saw the preview for the movie, I was intrigued. I thought it looked fascinating. So, being the librarian that I am, I did a little background search about the real events. During my searching I found that the movie was based on Ellroy's (author of L.A. Confidential) fictional account of the events. The novel was fantastic. Macabre and twisted, with phenomenal use of 50's slang (I had to Google many-a-term to keep up with the character conversation), it was an interesting read. The movie, what a mess! The reviews were not very favorable, however, I very seldom put stock into reviewers opinions. This time, however, I whole-heartedly agreed! It was a horrible adaption of Ellroy's novel. There was just too much going on and not enough time to develop the story for the audience. Half-way through the movie one of my friends leaned over and said "Do you have any idea what's going on?!" Even after having read the book I was having trouble following the plot line! With some of my favorite actresses (Scarlett Johanssan and Hilary Swank) I thought for sure I would enjoy this movie-not so much! Verdict: Book!

Exhibit C: The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I'll have to admit I haven't read the book since high school. I've seen the movie version several times. Perhaps the time gap or the multiple viewings have biased me but I loved the film version of The Color Purple. The actors, the sweeping landscapes-Spielberg did an amazing job bringing this piece of American Literature to the big screen. Verdict: Movie!


There have been so many books adapted for the big screen that this blog could go on forever discussing each book/movie combo. For those interested the Mid-Continent Public Library has a database of the books that have been made into movies. Based on the Book, all owes users to search by book or movie title, book author or the movie release year. Check to see if your favorite book has a movie counterpart or vice versa.
Anyone have their own favorite book to movie?!

3 comments:

~ames~ said...

Great post b.harlot!! I think about this a lot too-and wow am I ever amazed at the amount of movies that are based on books. Does anyone have an imagination in Hollywood? And that's just looking at the past 4 years.

Anyway, I read the Notebook and prefer the movie. I love the Color Purple, and that love made me buy the book (I haven't read it yet, I know, I'm bad). There are some movies and books that I can't decide which I prefer as well (Lord of the Rings and Seabiscuit). But with movie versions, I preferred: Brokeback Mountain and Practical Magic. There are also some movies where I want to read the book because I enjoyed watching it so much: Possession (A.S. Byatt), Vanity Fair, Pride and Prejudice.

There are lots more, but I feel like my comment is a bit long. :P

Mollie said...

Thanks Ames! I'm still amazed that anyone other than my family or friends (who are of course obliged to stop by now and again) is interested in what I have to say! I love the LOTR movies (haven't managed to make it all the way through the books though...think I might try them on audiobook-see if I can get through them that way! :)

nath said...

Hey B.Harlot :D

This is really an interesting topic :D I'm not a movie buff and so, I haven't seen many that were books adaptations, but my motto is usually stick with one, read it or watch it. Cos so far, I haven't seen many movies that live up to the books. The thing is that you can put so much details and events in a book, but when you adapt it to a movie, you have to cut down a lot.

ps- Ames, it seems to me that movie industry is running out of ideas and so they adapt books :P