Friday, March 09, 2007

I (dramatic pause) Am a Harry Potter fan. (Sigh.)

I've been meaning to post for the past week. But, as I'm in the middle of moving--I've had very little time to read, blog or do anything other than work and pack! I did, however, finish the third Harry Potter book on audio last night.

As the title of my post would suggest I'm not entirely happy about being a Harry Potter fan, I tried to fight it, I swear. It didn't do me any good, I still got sucked in.

When Harry Potter first came out I was so adamant about not becoming a member of the
HP cult, that I refused to read them. Then the movies came out and I refused to see them as well, no particular reason- I wasn't worried about my immortal soul being in peril or any such nonsense. I think I knew, deep down, that if I read the books or watched the movies I'd be another of the Harry Potter crazies. And I was right. When the first Harry Potter movie finally made it to HBO, I made the mistake of watching it. As I suspected I was hooked. I've seen all the movies since and I tried several times to go back and read the books but I never made it through them. It's to do with seeing the movies first, I just couldn't make myself trudge through the books when I already knew what was going to happen. I knew I should WANT to read the books, knowing that the books were probably even better than the film adaptions but I just couldn't do it. But then one of my librarian co-workers suggested I try the audio versions. I was skeptical about audio books in general. I'd tried one or two an they did nothing for me. But my co-worker insited that the narrator, Jim Dale, did a phenomenal job. So, I figured I'd give them a shot and boy am I glad I did! The audio books really are amazing. Jim Dale does such a wonderful job that I forget I already know the story. I can't wait to start the Goblet of Fire and I'm even more excited to move on to the books that haven't been made into movies yet! Hopefully I'll get them all finished by the time the last book, HP and the Deathly Hallows, is released in July!

3 comments:

nath said...

Hey B.Harlot (do you mind the nickname?), it's not bad to be a Harry Potter fan :) At least, you're not alone :D

Holly said...

I'm a massive HP fan, too, so don't feel bad. I even stood in line at midnight for the latest book. ;)

Anonymous said...

Good words.